Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Sales tax vs income tax

From my first job as a ranch hand on a ranch in my small home town making only $6 an hour to my most recent job as an electronic technician at Southwest Research Institute making $15 an hour, I have always dreaded seeing the deductions on each of my paychecks.  It has been something that I have always questioned since receiving a paycheck and I feel that a lower income tax and raised sales tax would not only help me to actually see where my money is going, but it would also provide some state funds.  Before totally rejecting this, let me put a few ideas out there to think about.  There is nothing that frustrates me more than to see people who make a great deal of money doing illegal business or working illegally, and have absolutely zero dollars taxed out of their income.  Wouldn't it make since to create a way that no matter what form of income one were to make, with the exception to legal low income persons, that they would still have to pay taxes just like the regular working citizen?  What legal working citizen likes to see their income just decimated by the Texas government income tax while seeing someone next to them making just as much or more and not getting taxed a cent?  I think it would be a great idea to consider and, provided there be an efficient way to go about doing it, I would be totally for it.

No comments: